Thursday, March 20, 2008

and he wrote it himself

I found this to be profoundly moving.

But what we know -- what we have seen – is that America can change. That is true genius of this nation. What we have already achieved gives us hope – the audacity to hope – for what we can and must achieve tomorrow...



It requires all Americans to realize that your dreams do not have to come at the expense of my dreams; that investing in the health, welfare, and education of black and brown and white children will ultimately help all of America prosper.


In the end, then, what is called for is nothing more, and nothing less, than what all the world’s great religions demand – that we do unto others as we would have them do unto us. Let us be our brother’s keeper, Scripture tells us. Let us be our sister’s keeper. Let us find that common stake we all have in one another, and let our politics reflect that spirit as well.





the day the war started, I was filmed at a protest in downtown Memphis holding a plywood sign painted with "I AM ASHAMED TO BE AN AMERICAN."

the day of the last presidential election, I went and voted and then watched the states turn red from the locked mental health triage unit at the public hospital.

I've seen very little in the past few years that has made me proud. we have a beautiful country that we are allowing to fill up with windblown plastic grocery bags and SUV-generated smog. our prime time television slots are full of sickening pap that encourages women to hate each other as they compete for immature, selfish men.

the day that we elect this man is the day I will begin to feel pride in my country again.

No comments: